GPS address: 1070 William Wharf Road, Matthews, VA 23109
Drivetime: 2-2 1/2 hours
Parking fee: $5.00 (includes shuttle)
- Take 64 to Route 17 (J. Clyde Morris Blvd) exit.
- Follow Route 17 North through Gloucester County.
- (You will go over the Coleman Bridge which has a $2 toll North-bound only.)
- Turn right on Route 17 Business after you pass Wal-Mart.
- Turn right onto Route 14 at the first stop light.
- Follow Route 14 until you reach a stop sign (about 12 miles).
- Turn right onto Route 14/Route 198.
- Stop at the first stop sign.
- Turn right again (Hardee’s on the corner).
- Drive about 2 miles and turn right on Route 614.
- Follow to the end of Williams Wharf.
- Parking is in an open field (often muddy) and a fee ($5) is charged.
- A shuttle bus runs the rowers and parents in to the regatta area.
Other Helpful hints:
- Driving time is approximately 2-2.5 hours. Scheduled departure time for rowers is 4:30 AM. Parking is approximately one half mile offsite, but a shuttle is provided. Large bulky items (such as large coolers) are allowed, but can be inconvenient due to limited space on buses.
- Parking is in a field .5 miles from the wharf. There are shuttle buses that will take you down or you can walk. Parking is $5 per car and that money goes to offset the cost of the regatta. Please pay it willingly and graciously.
- The road to the parking lot is paved, the actual parking lot is not.
- Bathroom facilities are the temporary kind and can be (ahem) short of supplies. Better to bring your own.
- No seating is available – bring chairs. Viewing rails along the wharf are excellent locations for taking pictures.
- The regatta site is a little chunk of land that sticks out in the middle of the river. The temperature can go from 40 to 80 in a matter of minutes. Because of the location, weather can be unpredictable – and colder than one might expect. Blankets and layered clothing are advised. Come prepared! Bring layers and rain wear. Don’t judge the weather on what it is in Chesapeake.
- There is a really long, narrow pier that you can walk out on to watch the races. It’s the closest view you will ever have of your kid racing.
- The food is awesome! Breakfast and lunch and they are famous for their crab cake sandwiches. Come hungry and eat a lot. All the profit goes towards maintaining the wharf.
- If it has rained at all in the last week, the field will be MUDDY! Wear sturdy shoes that can get wet or muddy. I recommend hiking boots. No one should ever wear sandals or flip flops to Matthews and that goes for siblings too.
- Bathrooms are port-a-potties! Yipee! While they do a decent job of trying to keep them stocked with paper and hand sanitizer, they don’t always succeed. Come prepared.
- Mathews usually has cool tee shirts. You order them, they make them right thereand you pick them up.
- It’s a solid two hour drive. The address is 1070 William Wharf Road, Matthews, VA 23109
- Don’t even THINK ABOUT trying to drive down to the wharf to drop stuff or sneak a parking place. The site is small and it gets VERY crowded with trailers and rowers and spectators. The road is narrow and with the buses going down turning around is a challenge. If you can’t get it on the bus with you I recommend you leave it home.